The best sales professionals work in a variety of industries and all have different styles. Many things about sales are extremely different but what’s universal is the best sales people have the best attitudes – in fact, attitude in many cases is the difference between success and failure.
So, how can one cultivate the attitude needed to be a great salesman? It’s actually not that difficult, but what is necessary is internalizing the following ten principles and incorporating them into your daily life beyond the sales floor.
1. Set Goals: The best sales professionals have quantifiable goals. They know exactly what they have to do and by when they have to do it. This goal-oriented attitude allows these professionals to have a purpose every day which contributes to a positive attitude.
2. Learn from Mistakes: Not everything goes according to plan, so it’s imperative for top salespeople to learn from what didn’t work and apply those lessons. Attitude is assisted here because learning allows you to avoid the negative feedback loop that destroys many sales professionals.
3. Be Flexible: The best plans don’t account for everything, so you have to be ready to roll with the punches. Knowing that you’re going to have unexpected situations arise reduces anxiety and allows you to flex your creative muscle.
4. Know Your Targets: Lack of knowledge is a major reason for poor attitudes amongst sales professionals. Knowing who sales targets are allows you to refine your message and exude confidence which builds confidence and your attitude.
5. Exude Confidence: Believe in yourself and so many different good things will come to pass. Attitude is in direct proportion to confidence – the great your confidence the more positive your attitude. Beware of arrogance – that’s an overabundance of confidence. Know what you do well, and know what you don’t do well. Make sure you improve the latter while having faith in the former.
6. Show Up: This is the pre-requisite for everything in life. No matter how difficult things get, no matter the obstacles in your way, keep showing up and doing your best. Show up for training and other learning experiences, this builds your confidence and these habits build a positive attitude.
7. Live in the Moment: Fixating on past failures and future goals undermines what you are doing right now. Top sales professionals are always living in the moment because that’s where sales are made. This mindset keeps the hunger to be successful and keeps you putting your best foot forward.
8. Seek Feedback: No man (or woman) is an island and for sales professionals this is especially true. Ask the people you interact with for honest feedback. People are more than willing to help you out – especially your bosses.
9. Continuously Update Your Resume: This is not to get a new position, but it affirms what you do well. Putting your accomplishments on paper builds confidence and allows you to keep building a positive attitude.
10. Be a Mentor: Nothing helps create a positive attitude and be a top sales professional than helping others on the way up. If you’re just getting started, seek a mentor. Sharing knowledge doesn’t cut into your profits, but it adds to a lasting feeling of success.
In all of these principles, attitude is critical and these principles allow top sales professionals to maintain a positive attitude in which creates greater productivity. Incorporate these principles into your work and personal life and undoubtedly you will benefit. Your attitude is the key driver to professional success, when you incorporate these principles, you’re only increasing those chances of success.
“Remember that it is up to you to choose everyday to Get off Your Attitude and to create a positive lifestyle for yourself and others.” Ryan C. Lowe